FROM 6 MONTHS
Vanilla Custard with Stewed Fruits or Fruit Mash
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ tbsp cornflour
- ¾ cup (190mL) milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp sugar
- Fruits suitable to stew include apples, pears, peaches, apricots, plums, dates or rhubarb (ensure rhubarb leaves have been discarded).
- Fruits suitable to mash include bananas, berries, figs, honeydew, kiwi fruit, mango, nectarines, paw paw, peaches, rockmelon and watermelon. Choose fruit which is soft and ripe.
How to make
- Place egg yolk and cornflour in a small saucepan; mix to combine. Add a small amount of milk to form a smooth paste; gradually add remaining milk, vanilla and sugar.
- Place over a medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until custard comes to the boil and thickens. Serve with stewed fruits or fruit mash.
- Peel, core or seed and chop fruit.
- Place in a small saucepan with enough water to just cover the fruit; bring to the boil on a high heat; simmer just until tender.
- Puree or mash, according to baby’s age. For older babies, offer large pieces.
- Peel fruit if necessary and chop.
- Using a food processor or blender, process until smooth or mash for older babies.